Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Hands Down, It's Still Baseball For Me

Okay, I tried. I sat down yesterday and watched what the avid fan on the barstool next to me described as a very exciting World Cup soccer match. I'd hate to see a boring one!

What I enjoy about my beloved baseball is that with every pitch a hundred different things can happen. In soccer there's basically only one thing that can happen, and it seems to happen about once a week.
If I had to describe a soccer game to someone who never saw one, I think that a good analogy would be a basketball game where no one ever makes a basket and the referee decides on a whim who wins or loses.
The human hand is one of the most amazing things in all of nature. After watching nearly an entire soccer match (a feat made endurable by the fact that the fan next to me kept buying rounds), my respect for that marvelous body part is greater than ever.

2 comments:

anonymouse said...

Then there's hockey. Which is basically soccer on ice.

Joe Karson said...

. . . . water polo is soccer in Speedos, lacrosse is soccer for rich kids, etc. Except for baseball, it's all soccer.