Sunday, June 21, 2009

Are They TRYING to Piss Me Off?

Speaking of produce, I'm reminded once again of my pet supermarket peeves. Lately I've been noticing the unique language at my A&P:

Oven Baked Bread. Wow! That's better than that bread baked in a ___ or a___

Garden Vegetables. I'll be damned--they don't mine those things anymore?

Dairy Butter and Cheese. No shit--to think of all those years I wasted trying to get butter at a foundry.

Avocados 5 for $5.00. Hey, I wasn't born yesterday. I'm waiting until they're a dollar apiece!

Baby Carrots. These are not baby carrots--they're grown-up carrots that have been put through a machine that cuts them up and rounds them off. What's the point? (Or where's the point--a real baby carrot would have a top and bottom like an ordinary one.)

And still no one has explained to me why a red pepper costs more than a green one.

And . . . DON'T GET ME STARTED!

3 comments:

woodie said...

Whoa back! Whoa! Steady now big fella. Let me help you through this if I can. Not claiming to be a food-crop-production authority by any means, but my hunch is that whereas the uneaten green peppers in my fridge don't usually turn red as they rot, the growers must therefore nurture greenpepper plants for a longer period of time. A perfectly suculent, juicy, marketable red pepper would thus incur more production costs, particularly if the plant is irrigated by artificial means. Now if you purchased your red pepper at an A & P market, there's a good chance that it was grown on some mega-agra-corporate-farm somewhere in the world. The length of time that one plant occupies in a space of dirt (if in fact it is grown in dirt) may be prescribed and harassed by some MBA accountant, which further drives up the cost. That's all I can think of. Unless there's a vast conspiracy on the part of growers who manipulate the red- pepper-market like the DeBeers family manipulates the diamond market. I don't know about the yellow or goldish looking ones...how they get to be that color. Maybe some kinda cross breeding or genetic hanky-panky. Again, more $........ Hope I've been able to talk you off the ledge on this one. Maybe let someone else do your grocery shopping for awhile, so you can get back to commenting on more important matters, like, as I suggested previously, the F.B.I./Deep Throat matter.

Joe Karson said...

That's one way of looking at it. However, it seems to me that a green pepper is actually a red pepper picked prematurely.

woodie said...

Again. think of the plant as consuming the resources of the producer; maybe they keep the crops awake all night with artificial lighting, like say pot growing in the basement. It costs more to bring it to market. That's all I'm sayin.