Monday, June 8, 2009

". . . Don't Pull on Superman's Cape, Don't Piss into the Wind, and . . .

Don't mess around with Afghanistan!"
Afghanistan has been the graveyard of super powers for millennia. Do we really think that we can impose our will on the people that defeated Alexander the Great, Genghis Kahn, the British Empire, and the Soviet Union?

40,000 fatal car accidents per year is the price we pay for mobility. Terrorist attacks on our country just might be the price we have to pay for being an affluent, open society. There will always be those that don't like us. We can't start a war (or institute wire tapping and torture) every time someone assaults our way of life.

If Osama bin Laden were hiding in France, would we bomb France?

4 comments:

Jim said...

Joe, if Obama were in France and the States thought they had intelligence on where he was - you know we would bomb the piss out 'em. That is who we are. (for worse, no doubt..)

woodie said...

Uh, Jim was that a Freudian slip? Your post says, "if Obama were in France..." It's important because given the recent history of intelligence(?)of the c.i.a., an agent might call in a strike on on Obama and then say, "oops! My bad. I thought my source said Osama. Oh well. Shit happens."

Jim said...

Woodie: Ha! I got caught with that one. It was a slip alright but don't know if Freudian. Sheesh, I sound like a wingnutter..

Joe Karson said...

Brings up an interesting point--if I were Barack, I'd have a few brothers around watcing my back. Call me cynical, but I find it hard to believe that any of those SS Boy Scouts who'd take a bullet for Dubya would do the same for Barack Hussein Obama.