Thursday, February 17, 2011

Women: Vote These People Out Of Office--While You Still Can

Despite all the blathering about jobs and the economy, the new Republicans in Washington seem to be more interested in conservative social issues. Particularly women's issues.

And, as usual, they haven't bothered with the facts.
They want a law banning federal funds for abortion. We already have one--it was passed 30 years ago.
They want to dismantle Planned Parenthood--the agency that's efforts with contraception have kept America's abortion rate one of the lowest in the world.

The anti-choice fervor in Congress is so strong and out of touch with reality that one freshman Tea Party congressman has actually introduced a bill that would make killing an abortion doctor "justifiable homicide." (!)
Women and women's rights advocates should be up in arms. At the rate this new reactionary Congress is going, by the time it's finished with business American women will be lucky if they can still vote.

1 comment:

Sarah Ritter said...

But, although generally frowned upon, drinking every day of my pregnancy would somehow be considered a personal choice that really is no one's business but my own.
And then I could physically "discipline" my screaming toddler in the privacy of my own subsidized home because I can't make ends meet because I'm trying to be a single parent with no college education because I was forced by strangers to have a baby I didn't want, because I made mistakes when I was a very young adult.
Just a worst-case scenario. Most young adults don't make mistakes. But if they do, they should have to pay. And so should their fellow citizens. Jesus Christ! is right.