Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Gospel According To Dale Earnhardt

Followers of this blog know my opinion of auto racing (along with all other activities combining Southern accents with the internal combustion engine) and religion.
Imagine my reaction when I tuned in Public TV last night and was confronted with a documentary on: Christian Auto Racing.

There it was: A pack of yayhoos chasing their own tailpipes on a racetrack, stages filled with blissed-out shysters spewing Bronze Age insanity, desperately cheerful lost souls gushing about "Jesus in their pit crews," all accompanied by the ultimate horror--Christian rap music.

And, of course, there were souvenirs to buy: CDs, posters, new versions of the Bible (translated into monosyllables?) I thought about sending off for a token myself--just for proof that this hell-on-earth actually exists.
Or maybe it doesn't. Maybe it was all a bad dream, some nightmare of my own over-active imagination plus the can of sardines and pint of Cherry Garcia I had for dinner. Yes, it could have been merely a dream--right? Right? RIGHT? Please tell me it could have been a dream, please, please, please . . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nope, not a dream, a real live nightmare!
I see it every day!