Monday, May 10, 2010

Assault Without Battery

Last evening, I took advantage of our unusually fine weather and went for what started out as a pleasant stroll. Pleasant until some particularly ferocious-looking bull dog came charging across a lawn at me. As usual, the owner came out and told me, "Don't worry, it won't bite." I always love this! These people seem to think that being threatened and intimidated by snarling beasts (that have been known to kill and maim ) is a pleasant experience. They act as if anything short of being bloodied and hospitalized is okay. It's not.
What I experienced was assault without battery. If a stranger confronted me on the street and threatened me with a knife, he would be arrested for assault. If someone threatens me with a genetically engineered homicidal animal possessing two-inch fangs and Vise-Grip jaws, I'm supposed to laugh it off. Does that seem right?
Those of you who feel the need to own attack dogs (by the way, they are doing wonders with penis enlargement these days), please keep them chained!

4 comments:

A. Josephine said...

agreed!

Anonymous said...

There's a leash law in MA. They arrest dogs not on a leash and fine the owners. I'm sorry that happened to you, Joe. How close did the dog get to you? What if you'd had a heart attack due to the almost attack, it's possible.

-Veronica

Anonymous said...

I have a lady friend who was walking her dog on a leash and both she and her dog were attacked by an unleashed dog. She was bitten several times on her calf, and as a result wound up in the hospital for a month and a half fighting a flesh-eating bacteria. She came within a day or two of losing her leg and it's taken nearly a year for her to recover. Big lawsuit.

Joe Karson said...

Flesh-eating bacteria? "Don't worry, they won't bite."