Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Leap of Faith

One of the great ironies of the modern world is that it is rapidly requiring a greater "leap of faith" to believe in science than religion. Strangely, I have no trouble accepting the science, but I still reject religion.
I am told that this seemingly solid desk I'm writing on is composed mostly of empty space with some invisible, variously charged particles randomly whizzing around. This sounds ridiculous and is contrary to what I perceive with my senses. But I believe it. The Big Bang, black holes, unseen dimensions, and anti-matter are even stranger ideas--but they are part of modern science and I believe in them too. The ultimate nature of reality as described by Einstein, Hawking, and other physicists features concepts as fantastic as the parting of the Red Sea or any other miracle in the Bible. Still, I am able to make the leap and accept these scientific principles--while dismissing Biblical stories as mere fairy tales.
Maybe it's the personnel.
Watching Stephen Hawking slumped over in his wheelchair, I am more willing to accept his mind-numbing idea of a 13-dimensional universe than anything coming from a big-haired televangelist wearing a $5,000 suit and a Rolex watch.

No comments: