Thursday, May 29, 2008

I Just Don't Get It

I will freely admit to possessing some ironclad, gold-plated, chiseled-in-stone, non-negotiable prejudices. Here is one of them:
I Detest Auto Racing.
The recent elevation of NASCAR to the status of mainstream entertainment has fueled by belief in the erosion of the American intellect. That and the election of George W. Bush. Of course, it's no surprise that people entertained by loud, shiny things going around in a circle would choose Dubya to be their president.
A friend once took me to a live race in the hope of curing my prejudice. This only deepened it. Without the overview provided by TV, there was even less to see--just an occasional car whizzing by. Period. Somehow, this rewarding experience was not enhanced by the introduction of choking fumes, ear-splitting noise, and the spectre of 10,000 drunken rednecks in the same place at the same time.
I just don't get it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Watching NASCAR is like watching Olympic cross country skiing only a little better. NASCAR events have low rent beer (Miller), bright colors and loud noises.