Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Natural Contrariness

Have you noticed that everything at the grocery store is suddenly "natural." (Maybe this is as it should be. Isn't everything in the world natural? Are there any supernatural products? Any products conceived through alchemy, witchcraft, or delivered via black holes or warps in space/time?)
And how the hell do they get away with capping ingredient lists with: "and natural ingredients." Doesn't this trivialize everything else on the list? Rat shit, roach wings, crude oil, and 'possum piss are all perfectly natural ingredients--I don't think I'd want them in my food.
Yesterday at the health food store I encountered NATURAL OREO COOKIES.
The Oreo Cookie as it occurs in Nature? I wonder: Do they mine those things or pick them?
And is a natural shampoo any more natural than greasy hair? And . . . God, don't get me started!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are just naturally cantankerous, can't you just act natural? I hate the new natural tag lines myself but they seem to be useful to you. Its something to get all up in a wad about.
zzzzz
The 100% natural Carla Potter