Sunday, November 7, 2010

Progress Report

I really am trying to find a bright spot in our dismal current events. And I think I've actually found one--in of all places, Iran.
Has anyone been following the plight of Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani? The woman was convicted of adultery and sentenced to death by stoning. In a surprising turn of events, the Islamic Court has finally agreed to pursue a more enlightened course. Instead of being stoned, Sakineh will be hanged.

Okay, I said I was trying. Please excuse my extreme cynicism, but given the recent success of efforts to return America to the 19th Century, even the decrepit old mullahs of Iran seem progressive. Hey, you've got to walk before you can run. At least they're trying to move FORWARD.

Now if you will excuse me, the cocktail hour has arrived and I need a drink--immediately!

No comments: